MAY 20, 2017
Before You Hit Send
Learn to self-edit and polish your manuscript in this all-day workshop presented by a Carina Press Editorial Director, Angela James.
What you will learn:
Develop a checklist of techniques and processes for enhancing self-editing skills and polishing future manuscripts. Learn how to make the new knowledge a habit when writing future books. Learn the basics and the advanced techniques of:
- Dialogue and dialogue tags
- Whether all forms of “to be” are really evil (the answer is no)
- What is overwriting? How can you avoid it?
- Basic and advanced punctuation
- Passive voice vs active voice
- Point of view
- Pacing, including and editing trick to help you “fix” pacing
- What we mean by show not tell. And how to do that!
- Different types of editing and stages of editing
- What to look for in an editorial relationship
- What to look for and questions to ask when hiring a freelance editor
- Formalizing and finalizing your manuscript before you hit send (or press publish)
Location:Best Western Seven Seas
411 Hotel Circle South
San Diego 92108
REGISTRATION OPENS ON MAY 1st.
She has edited bestselling authors Shannon Stacey, Jaci Burton, Lauren Dane, Ilona Andrews, Lilith Saintcrow, and Shelley Laurenston, among others. In 2013, Angela was named Editor of the Year by the New York City chapter of Romance Writers of America.